My kids love Minecraft. As most of you, I have mixed feelings about gaming. I enjoy watching them discover, build, and learn how to play in another world. Let’s face it: it’s FUN!
I also can see the objections that some parents have to gaming in general. It can be a distraction, substitute their outdoor play, detract from homework and other home activities. I think, we all want our kids to learn responsibility, and all those home chores and activities are an important part of that process.
We’ve put a lot of thought into how we can make sure that playing Minecraft does not become a problem. And, here are a few tips…
- All homework must be done before Minecraft play.
- Assigned daily reading must be complete, before Minecraft play.
- Outdoor activity is also important, before Minecraft.
- Also encourage other learning aspects of Minecraft: books, drawing, maps, math, mythology, etc.
- Check in. Make sure you know what the kids are doing (and learning) in their Minecraft gaming.
Minecraft really has become a wonderful learning experience, as they explore architectural aspects, reading about the game, and developing their own storylines.
Here are just a few of the Minecraft books that the boys read and enjoy!