This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BigGameTreats #CollectiveBias
We’re huge football fans, and we enjoy following our favorite team all year round. So, when the Big Game comes around, it’s really a great opportunity to get together with family and friends and enjoy the game, while we share some fun #BigGameTreats.
They loved making these chocolate #BigGameTreats #CollectiveBias #ad @daddynewbie A photo posted by Don Jackson (@daddynewbie) on
This year, the boys wanted to do something a little different, and they really let their creative juices fly. They also enjoyed combining their favorite snacks to create a snack landscape, with the Starburst laid out as a road, and the rest of the candy combined to form trees and cars. Beyond the obvious fact that the boys love these snacks, the project/recipe creation is also an important collection of lessons.
- Counting & color organization: They had to count all the pieces to make sure they had enough, and they also organized the colors into the roadway, as well as the other crafty ensembles.
- Storytelling: They rarely miss out on an opportunity to make their projects into an adventure, and this was no exception. On Big Game Day, they’ll be re-telling the stories, which always adds a fun dimension to every get-together.
- Explore Creativity: My kids love to paint, draw, and model; and this became a great way for them to make a crafty snack that we can share. They’ve already been telling all their friends about what they made with their varied collection of Life Savers, Starburst and SNICKERS!
A photo posted by Don Jackson (@daddynewbie) on
Here’s the recipe we created for our #BigGameSnack:
Prepping for the Big Game – #BigGameSnacks
- 2 bags of mini SNICKERS candy bars
- 2 bags assorted GUMMY Life Savers
- 1 bag mini Starburst candies
- 1 bag Skittles candies
- Open the first bag of Snickers, as well as the bag of Skittles, the bag of mini Starburst, and a GUMMY Life Savers bag.
- Put the mini SNICKERS candy bars on a microwave-safe plate.
- Also prep the GUMMY Life Savers (by using a knife to cut them in half)--after you cut the Life Savers on your cutting board, you can place them in a bowl or on a plate for use.
- Prep the bag of mini Starburst candies (like with the Life Savers, you'll cut the mini Starburst in half, and set them aside).
- Place the plate of mini SNICKERS in the microwave for 10-20 seconds (checking ~ every 10 seconds on how melted the bars have become). You want the bars to be slightly melted, but not so melted that the chocolate is dripping off.
- Take the mini SNICKERS candy bars out of the microwave, and arrange them (two minis, side-by-side -- the slightly melted chocolate should stick together).
- While the chocolate is still partially melted, place 4 Skittle candies on the sides of the car (for tires), one-half of the GUMMY Life Saver at the "front'' of the car (as a steering wheel), and the half-mini Starburst in the "body" of the car (as two bench car seats).
- It's usually easiest to batch these little cars in small bunches (because you have to put all the "car parts" on before the chocolate hardens too much.
- Once you're completed with a batch of cars, you can also place your mini cars in the refrigerator or freezer -- so that the "car parts" will harden more securely in place.
- You can also use "regular" Starburst candies and make a road for the chocolate cars.
Wondering where to find these delectable snacks for your #BigGameTreats planning. Just follow everyone else–to the Candy aisle, at Walmart.
Now, I’ve shared my my Game-Day recipe with you! I’d love to hear what you plan on making for the Big Game! Please leave a comment below.