I’m participating in the Chuck the Chunk: On the Road to Dad 2.0 Summit 2014 weight-loss challenge, so low-calorie treats are my reward for doing well, at the end of the week.
Of course, like with most things, just because this banana bread is low-fat, and low-calorie does not mean that it’s ok to eat the whole loaf. Don’t get me wrong… it would be yummy, but not worth all the work we’ve put in or the work we still have left to do. So, like with everything you eat, remember portions are important.
Also, don’t think “Oh, great: low-fat? = low taste, yuck!”. This is so-not-like-that. So, treat yourself. Here is what you’ll need, to make this low-fat/low-calorie yumminess…
- PREP: 10 mins
- COOK: 45 mins
- READY IN: 2 hrs
- MAKES: 1 9x5 -inch loaf
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (depending on your taste-can increase or decrease amount)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat the egg in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the mayonnaise, bananas, and vanilla extract until evenly mixed. Stir in the flour mixture until no dry lumps remain. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.